Monday, October 17, 2011

Second ride on a dolmuş

Today I took my second ride from work to home on a Turkish mini-bus, or dolmuş.  I felt very proud of myself just finding the bus stop, recognizing the destination posted on the dolmuş, and then hailing it down.  Having already done this once, I felt somewhat seasoned, so I boarded the dolmuş and sat in a seat very close to the driver (security?).  What is interesting about a dolmuş ride is that the fare varies, depending on where you are going (my ride is only 2 lire).  There is only one entrance in the back of the dolmuş, so money has to be passed up to the driver.  As I came to realize, in my strategically located seat, I had to pass the money to the driver from those boarding, and then pass back the change.  Mercifully, a man sitting next to me told the driver where the various passengers were going, so that the driver would know how much change to give.  As it was rainy today, the windows started fogging up (no defroster!), so the passenger sitting in the dolmuş shotgun seat wiped the windows with a squeegee, occasionally passing the squeegee to the driver to wipe his side.  The driver was pretty amazing -- collecting money, giving change, stopping and starting the dolmuş, wiping the window -- all while working a gear shift which requires 2 hands.  So, just as I'm getting used to this routine, I started getting nervous about my exit.  Now I had written on a small (now very wet) piece of paper the name of my bus and what I needed to say to exit ("Inecek var"), but with the windows fogging up on the side of the dolmuş as well as the front, I was unable to get a good look at the street names.  So, I tried to ask the man next to me, who took one look at my pathetic piece of paper and burst out laughing -- promising to get me off the dolmuş at the right place!

1 comment:

  1. How funny! And impressive. Sounds almost as bad as driving a station wagon with four children in it:).

    ReplyDelete