Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mustafa the Barber & Ayhan the Kuaför

You really know you're living in a foreign country (as opposed to just visiting) when you have to get your hair done.  Now Cef (or Jeff, as he is known in the English language) has already visited Mustafa the barber.  According to Cef, Mustafa spent a great deal of time on the hair itself, with additional attention to the mustache.  As a bonus, there was the ear waxing.  Now I've had eyebrow waxing before, but ear waxing was a new concept for me (and a definite first for Cef).  Before he could protest, one ear had been waxed, with the offending hair jerked out.  What could he do but submit to the second ear?  I must admit that he received one of the best haircuts in memory, not to mention that his hearing has improved considerably.  (Sorry that he would not permit a close up of the ears.)   Now it may be different for men, but for me, I have a very special relationship with my hairdresser.  As background, I found Rosemary 12 years ago in Charleston, and since then, I've moved with her to 4 different locations, and we have gone through numerous life events together, such as graduating our sons from high school, getting married, and Rosemary's son getting married.  In the last 12 years, only Rosemary (and her son) have ever touched my hair -- so you can imagine my trepidation when I walked into the shop of Ayhan (the Kuaför).  For starters, Ayhan doesn't speak English (nor did I expect it), but then again, it's not too hard to indicate that I wanted a hair cut and touching up of my roots.  Ayhan understood completely and got the team started.  Yes -- it's a team approach here in Turkey.  Ayhan first called Sultan (the lone female on the team) to get me tea.  Then it was Ömer's turn to prepare and hand to Ayhan the little tin foils that are part of the process.  After this (which did not seem out of line with what Rosemary does), I was advised to sit tight and let the "stuff" work.  No worries -- Meena, an English speaking Indian woman arrived for a manicure and cut, and she and I had a good conversation.  Once Meena left, I was ushered to another area where Ayhan and Ömer got all of the tin foil and other extraneous stuff out of my hair for a good wash.  Then there was more "stuff" applied.  When I questioned them on this, they replied "Renk" (one of the few words I understand, meaning "color").  I had never had this procedure, but I was at their mercy, so renk it was, followed by more washing.  Then it was back to the chair, where Ayhan (without assistance) did the cutting.  I have never seen such fast fingers!  Following the cut, Ömer was called back into action to assist in the drying process (it took four hands!).  Although I may not ever have the same level of trust as I have with Rosemary, I do believe that I'll survive the next 9 months without having to wear a wig! 


2 comments:

  1. Where is there hair on his ear? Do they do threading in Turkey? Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be clear, it was the hair INSIDE his ears which was removed with the wax procedure. Have not seen threading, but will be on the lookout not that I've googled it and know what it is.

    ReplyDelete