Sunday, September 18, 2011

Middle Passage and Soft Landing

We survived the four fights (including a large number of babies who expressed considerable frustration at the long wait on the tarmac in Atlanta) and were met in Ankara by my Turkish colleague Cengiz and one of the psychiatric residents Mehmet.  Luckily for us, they had each brought a car, because with the amount of luggage we brought (and I had to talk my way out of paying for extra baggage again in Istanbul), we definitely needed the multiple vehicles.  We are now guests in Cengiz's really lovely home on the outskirts of Ankara.  I met my psychiatric colleagues at Hacettepe University on Friday and am looking forward to a full day tomorrow.  Meanwhile over the weekend, I have power walked around the neighborhood and even visited the health club (more to come on that).  Food is outstanding, so I'll definitely need to build in lots of exercise!  In the picture, you'll see Jeff, Cengiz, and me at the Washington Restaurant, a lovely spot located above the city inside the walls of an ancient castle.  

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it safely, and sorry we missed your call yesterday! Eric was leaving for Durham and it was a little crazy. Can't wait to hear more about Ankara and esp. how all the Turkish-speaking is going:).

    ReplyDelete